Sunday, December 14, 2008

Disneyland Day 1: First Airplane Ride

Saturday we were up bright and early to drive to the airport. This would be all three of our boys' first ride on an airplane, so of course it was Daniel and I's first experience really traveling with small children.

I do think Daniel has had a little practice though, because unfortunately traveling with me can sometimes be like traveling with small children. I get stressed out about having everything packed and having snacks and stuff to do during the ride, but most of all I don't like to fly. I don't know what it is about it. I don't like the sensation of taking off and landing and I don't like the amount of commitment involved. Once you are in the air you can't change your mind. If you're in a car you can turn around or pull over. You can yell "Let me out!" But not it an airplane. Once you're off the runway there is no turning back. If something is going to happen it will happen. There isn't a lot you can do.

When Daniel and I flew to Las Vegas in August I really practiced my "flying face". That is my "everything is great, we are not going to crash" face. Because we were both really worried that I would overreact when the kids were on the plane and I would freak them out. Freaking out makes complete sense to me. If I am afraid when it is just Daniel and I or just me on an airplane, imagine how I would feel when all three of my precious babies were on the plane too. I might go off the deep end. Now, keep in mind, I have never physically had a meltdown on a plane. It has mostly consisted of crushing Daniel's fingers in a death grip and expressing my immediate need to get off the plane while Daniel lovingly encourages me to breathe in and out. I'm exaggerating a bit, but only a little. Luckily, my practice paid off ( I also had a practice flight with my Mom in November), I had a little panic attack when I realized how small the plane was but quickly occupied myself with handing out granola bars and answering questions. The flight was over quickly. None of the boys got scared or sick. And I didn't go berserk. Thank Goodness.

Now--off to Disneyland!

No comments: