Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Weekend at Grandma's

We had plans last week to drive down to Idaho Falls for the weekend to visit my grandma. But of course, everything didn't go as planned. Tuesday afternoon Gabriel started running a fever, by Wednesday he was full blown sick! Daniel stayed home with him on Wednesday and I stayed home on Thursday. We also decided to take a trip to the pediatrician on Thursday to make sure Gabe had just a cold and not something more serious. The doctor confirmed the cold and after a good nap, Gabe seemed to be feeling better. I was starting to think we might be able to make the drive to Grandma's after such luck!

Friday morning Gabe's fever was down so Daniel got him dressed and put him in the high chair for some breakfast. We struggled to give him some medicine and apparently that wore him out because while we were still standing in front of him he fell asleep, cereal in hand. Poor guy! You know if Gaby falls asleep without finishing his food then he really doesn't feel good.

So it was decided, after much contemplation and discussion, that Daniel would spend the weekend at home with Gabriel and I would drive to Idaho Falls with CJ and Caleb. Even though I knew it was just a cold and Daniel has more than proven his capability, it was still really crappy driving down the freeway, heading out of Boise, without my baby.

Four hours, two movies, three potty stops and a couple of boxes of animal crackers later, the boys and I arrived at Grandma's house. The evening was pretty quiet, the boys played Nintendo and Grandma and I visited. After the boys went to bed Grandma showed me some of the geneology she has been working on. It was really interesting! I saw my Grandma's birth certificate and my Grandpa's discharge papers from the military. I saw family trees and old pictures. But the most interesting thing I found out is that my maiden name, Dickson, is not a biological or blood name for my family. It turns out that my dad's father, Robert Bernard Dickson, was actually adopted by his step father and that is how he became a Dickson and has passed it on to my family. Although I did not know my Grandpa Dickson well and have always considered Grandpa Turnage to be my grandpa it was amazing to me that I had never known this.

We spent some time on Saturday making cookies for a church party Grandma had that night. It had been years since Grandma had made this type of cookie (I never had) and the recipe was lacking vital information like oven temperature and baking time. Through trial and error we made it through and they turned out well. The boys and I went to Grandma's party with her and got to help decorate the tables and eat all of the yummy food. Afterward the boys played more Nintendo (gasp!) and Grandma and I stayed up talking until after one in the morning. It was so nice to have some one on one time with her so we could catch up.

Too soon it was Sunday morning and time for us to go home. We packed up and drove away, waving all the way down the street. We weren't even to the freeway yet and CJ was already telling me that he missed Grandma. We will see her again around the beginning of March for MacKenzie's birthday but that still seems like too long. I am now remembering that no matter how old you are, or how young for that matter, there is something very special about Grandma's house!!

1 comment:

emily said...

Oh Chrissy!! I miss you. We need to have a girls night or something. Love your blog and I am so glad you made one so I can keep myself updated on your life. Talk to you soon. Em I'm placing you on my blog. Hope you don't mind.